Years ago I had a hard time saying no. I often wandered around without direction and I ran from my problems. I allowed hurtful people and bad influences in my life. And I didn’t have a plan for my future.
Then I learned one simple trick that changed everything–Staying true to what I value.
I made a list of my values:
- Family and Friends
- Having a career–passion and purpose
- Health and Fitness–getting enough sleep, eating right, exercising regularly, maintaining my mental health
- Having time and money for my hobbies– traveling, painting, reading, learning, decorating, exercising…
Then I made a list of things I was doing that didn’t fit in with my values:
- Watching hours of TV
- Hanging out in clubs and bars with the wrong people
- Spending money I didn’t have, increasing my credit card debt
- Not exercising, eating right, or getting enough sleep
- Ignoring future career goals
- Avoiding my family and true friends
Though challenging, I made the decision to always say “yes” to everything on my values list, and “no” to everything that didn’t fit in with my values.
You probably already know what happened… Yup! My life changed and I’ve never looked back. 🙂
This is one of the tricks from my short booklet, 2 Days to Healthy Self-Esteem