A couple of days ago a friend and I were working together to become better organized. I was in her home office sitting on the floor when I pulled out my schedule. She asked if she could see it–I’m a private person–I hesitated then reluctantly slid my day timer her way, then just as quickly I gently pulled it back and decided I’d feel more comfortable reading my schedule to her, so I can decide what I share.
Slightly embarrassing, my schedule actually includes eat breakfast, take a shower and get dressed, walk the dog, stretch, and clean up the house… and that’s all before the work even starts. LOL
Because I work from home, I have learned that if I don’t stick to this schedule, I will not have a good day. It is very easy for me to roll out of bed and spend the entire day in my office skipping breakfast, lunch, stretching, taking a shower, and even skimping on my poor dog’s walks. This behavior is not good for me on many levels.
So I’m going to come out of my shell and share my schedule:
- I start early every morning spending quality time with my man, either in person or over the phone.
- Breakfast and vitamins – I’m not hungry but I have to eat to keep my metabolism happy.
- Blog the Daily Challenge
- Shower and get dressed – Even if I’m not leaving the house all day, I still shower and, I guess you could say, I get ready for work. 🙂
- I take my dog for a fairly long walk while I dry my hair (multitasking). And of course, the walk is good for me too.
- Clean house – I have to walk through my house and make sure everything is in order, then I’m ready to start my work day.
- I spend the next couple hours connecting on Twitter, Facebook, my blog, and website. I catch up on phone calls, emails, mail and my (physical) inbox. I take stretching breaks along the way.
- Lunch – good time to take a break and grab a bite to eat, maybe run a couple of errands…
- Write – after lunch I get to use the other side of my brain and write… my favorite part of the day (besides my man time).
- Around 4:30 or 5:00 pm I take my dog for another (much longer) walk. I’m finished working for the day.
- Workout – after my walk, I’m motivated to keep moving (a body in motion…) so I head downstairs for a good workout, about 30 minutes to an hour. I love to lift weights!
- Dinner – usually a bowl of cereal or something light because I’ll spend the rest of the night on the couch reading or maybe watching TV. Relaxing.
That’s my schedule… and it seems to work well for me; I’ve found a good balance. Without the structure, I’d be a mess!
If you work from home, what’s your schedule like? Do you work better with structure or taking things as they come?